The Nomination Period for Director applications is now closed. Thank you to those who have expressed an interest through submitting an application.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Everyone on Nova Mutual’s Board of Directors is a Member and Policyholder themselves. The Board’s commitment and focus is on benefiting fellow Members, the communities served, and Nova Mutual as a whole.
Board of Director Duties
Nova Mutual’s Board of Directors works closely with the CEO and senior management to set direction and monitor Nova Mutual’s performance. They are responsible for providing oversight to senior management to ensure adherence to the necessary regulations of a regulated financial institution, as set out by the applicable governing regulatory bodies.
Specific Duties Include:
- Establishing strategic direction and setting performance expectations;
- Hiring, delegating authority to and assessing the performance of the President & Chief Executive Officer;
- Monitoring Nova Mutual’s performance and approving the financial plan;
- Communicating with Members and stakeholders, and providing leadership by supporting and promoting Nova Mutual;
- Monitoring and ensuring that appropriate and effective governance policies and practices are in place to ensure that Member interests are served and protected and that the Board is in a position to fulfill its legal role and responsibilities to Members; and
- Ensuring that Nova Mutual operates in a manner consistent with its vision, mission and values.
Our Nova Mutual Board of Directors
Vice-Chair and Investment and Risk Committee Chair
Human Resources Committee Chair
Audit, Finance & Conduct Review Committee Chair
Mary Ann Mooney
Governance Committee Chair
Why Become a Board Member?
When you become a member on the Board of Directors, you are helping to make a difference to fellow Members, to Nova Mutual, and to communities in which Nova Mutual operates. It not only gives you the opportunity to utilize your skills but allows you to enhance and broaden your abilities as well. Nova Mutual is a provincially regulated financial institution, and the Board is responsible for providing effective oversight to ensure a stronger, more effective mutual insurance company for all of its Members.
How to Become a Board Member
Nova Mutual Board Members are generally elected for three-year terms unless there is a mid-term vacancy. Every year Nova Mutual holds Board elections to fill vacancies for expired terms or to fill other vacancies that may have occurred.
Under its by-laws, Nova Mutual’s Nominating Committee is responsible for ensuring the integrity and quality of the Director nomination and election process and for recommending to the Membership those candidates who are best qualified to serve Nova Mutual as a Director in order to have an effective Board that possesses the required competencies to protect Member interests.
Nomination and Election Process
Successful candidates, in addition to possessing the required competencies for Directorship, are collaborative, community-minded, and have demonstrated leadership experience and a solid understanding of the governance Board oversight responsibilities associated with a prudentially managed financial institutionShould you have any other questions in relation to this process, please contact the Corporate Secretary.
The undersigned hereby puts forward their name as meeting the qualifications to be eligible to be elected to the Board of Directors of Nova Mutual at the Annual General Meeting of Members to be held on March 9, 2023.