About the Company
With roots dating back to 1867, Nova Mutual has protected clients when they need it the most specializing in Agriculture, Commercial Home and Auto insurance. With a team of dedicated professionals, we have established ourselves as one of the leading Mutual Insurers in Southern Ontario.
A people-focused organization has allowed us to create a Vision and Strategy that wraps our service and product offering around people like you in communities like ours. We live our people focus in all that we do, our organization prides itself on being creative and flexible while ensuring local communities are receiving the proper Insurance expertise and friendly service at a fair premium.
Where Standards Matter
Our Commercial Underwriters play a fundamental role within the company in upholding our reputation of offering exceptional insurance experiences to our Brokers and Members. This role is responsible for assessing, pricing, and accepting risks in accordance with the company’s guidelines and objectives in order to comply with the underwriting standards. This team member maintains existing and new accounts with endorsements, renewals, new business, and quoting along with building strong relationships with our broker partners.
Where U Matter
Our Team Members are the heartbeat of our business. It’s up to U to live and breathe our culture and use our core values as the foundation from which you build your career with us.
Nova Mutual is a place Where U Matter – U represents our Team Members, our Brokers, our Members, and our Communities. We hold this belief in the highest regard and empower U to do the same. Your work to ensure that our Commercial Insurance Members are well-protected and our Broker Partners are supported is integral to our success. A well-performing book of business and happy Brokers are just as important as your personal relationship with Nova Mutual. Our Brand is here to support U, too.
Education & Experience
This role requires a two-year commercial or technical college program. Over 7 to 10 years of on-the-job experience in Underwriting. *Fleet and garage auto policies is considered an asset, but not a requirement. Don’t hesitate to apply if you are an underwriting star; we make space for the right people on our Team.
What U Will Be Up To
- Service and grow a commercial underwriting book of business by maintaining Nova Mutual Underwriting standards and staying within the guidelines by the reinsurer (FMRe).
- Maintaining current Agent/Broker relationships with appropriately scheduled visits, check-ins, timely response to inquiries and ensuring clients have the most up to date knowledge of product offerings.
- Reviewing broker submissions to determine acceptability, determining sufficient writing (pricing), preparing quotes and following underwriting protocols.
- Identify opportunities to enhance wording, product lines, rating structure and current offerings.
- Processing endorsement and renewal requests ensuring they stay within the guidelines of Nova Mutual protocols, preparing quotations for renewals and offerings.
What Makes U…U
- You’re a self-starter with a passion for accuracy, problem-solving, and supporting your colleagues.
- You’re an excellent communicator and possess an abundance of personal drive and integrity.
- You love a challenge and the satisfaction that comes from achieving goals through working with a high-performing team.
- You approach building and maintaining relationships with a genuine spirit.
- You’re an out-of-the-box thinker with a passion for creative problem-solving.
- You see opportunities where others see obstacles.